Monday, April 25, 2011

How You Doing?

So every American knows that the cheesiest pick up line is Joey's "How you doing", which actually meant something along the lines of "I'm hot, you're hot, let's get together".

It seems like the French equivalent (Ca Va?) is reduced to a similar form by various groups of people.

For example, beggar children will run down the street or sing together a little chorus of "Ca Va"s, but what they really mean is, "Give me money since you are white and rich".

Also, men will come up to any white woman who is in the market, quite similarly to Joey and say "Ca Va?". But instead of this meaning "let's get together because you're hot", it means "let's get together, because I need an American visa".

Each of these encounters leaves me feeling a variety of different ways. But in the end, I just want to throw a "How you doing?" back in their face.