Sunday, October 17, 2010

Safe Arrival

Yesterday at 12:30pm (7 hours ahead of US eastern time) I arrived in the Horn of Africa. After eating plane food for the last four meals and sleeping only about three hours, I walked off the plane to the smallest airport I have ever seen. The hot here hits you like a wall (I haven't stopped sweating since arriving due to a lack of affordable ac). After waiting for my visa, which didn't cause any problems, I walked to get my luggage from the only luggage carousel in the airport. This was more stressful than usual, as a man quickly started gathering my bags and carrying them for me... I knew we wasn't stealing them, but I didn't know how much he would demand for his services and a "no" was not a possibility.

My roommate and two new friends greeted me at the exit. It was lovely to meet them and their families. They gave me a tour of the town and invited in into their home and their lives. I have high hopes for the upcoming and challenging nine months.