Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dentists and Djibouti

Well, Djibouti is a pretty obscure location. I don't normally tell people I am going there. I normally say, "the horn of Africa" or "East Africa", but many people think I mean to say South Africa, because to them the cape is a horn. All understandable since I didn't know where this tiny place was six months ago either.

So today when I told my Israeli Dental Hygienist that I would be going to the horn of Africa to teach English, I was surprised when he started telling me how peaceful and wonderful it was. Between telling me that I needed to floss more, and asking random questions (that were impossible to answer with that water-sucking-thing and the scraper in my mouth), he told me I needed to visit Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Egypt ("but Egypt is dirty"), Djibouti is so dry and sandy that I won't need warm clothes, pondering its origin as being part of former Somaliland, than French Somaliland, now Djibouti, and so on.

Needless to say, the most fun I have had at the dentist, at least since I was five and my dentist gave me stickers.

I have so much to learn about this little obscure place, that I hope to visit very soon.

Funding update:
Monthly: 32%=$795 in pledges
Pre-Field: 60% or nearly $6000
(getting numbers that make sense is hard for me)