Monday, May 9, 2011

Fresh Mint Ice Cream



So yesterday I infused condensed milk with fresh mint, which I then used to make homemade ice cream. It didn't taste anything like Breyer's white mint chocolate chip.

I'm telling you this because four unimportant things in my daily life combined for this result.

Firstly, I have been learning to cook in Africa. My teammate is a terrific cook, she can make broccoli cheddar soup from scratch and created a cookbook which is carried in bookstores around the world. This has led me to read far too many food blogs. And to various cooking failures including: a Thanksgiving apple tart that wouldn't come out of the pan, and my inability to re-heat anything without a microwave.

Secondly, I am loosing a battle with heat rash. I desperately want to eat ice cream. But ice cream can't be brought home from a store on a 30 minute bus ride without a/c when it is over 100.

Thirdly, my roommate and teammate found this herb garden! Fresh basil (which led to successful pesto), fresh mint and other unidentified herbs.

Fourthly, the president declared his inauguration day a national holiday. This meant no work, all errands must be postponed and the power will be on all day. After watching two movies, I decided I needed to do something else.

Thus, fresh mint ice cream.