Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lunch on the Town

My lovely roommate and I went out to get Ethiopian food for lunch. It was quite crowded. So the one server was rushing around talking in his four languages (Somali, French, English and Arabic). We were speaking to him in French and broken Somali and he would respond in broken English.

When I asked to take my food to go he said ok, then quickly went to another table. He then returns realizing that we are waiting for him, and he says,

"DOWN SISTER DOWN!"

What?!?! My roommate and I look at each other...does he mean "calm down"? I'm not yelling at him or jumping on him like a dog...

He then takes my plate from in front of me and rushes down the stairs...the register was downstairs! Of course! hahaha

But that was not the most hilarious climax of this outing.

He quickly bags up the food and we pay (at the bottom of the stairs). Then I walk out and give my bag of food to a beggar woman with a baby and children around her. When out of no where this old hunched over beggar women starts hitting the young beggar with her walking stick!! I look around to see if anyone else is seeing this or I am imagining it, and I make eye contact with a gold-toothed man who is laughing.

At a complete loss of what to do, I do the only thing that I can think of...
I run away. (followed by a trail of beggar children...)